Vegetarian diets have been shown to improve the quality of one’s health dramatically. A healthy diet becomes especially important in a person’s golden years, making vegetarian eating habits a great place to start. These tips will provide ways that you can enjoy this lifestyle choice, providing the potential for many more happy and healthy years to come.
1. Focus on Organic Eating
Even though organic foods tend to be a bit more expensive than conventional groceries, the lack of additives and synthetic chemicals in your food will do wonders for your body. If possible, try to select fruits and vegetables with USDA certified organic stickers on them. Organic foods outside of the produce section are also available in many grocery stores.
Organic foods aren’t treated with hormones or preservatives. This means the food is fresher and is made using only natural methods and ingredients. This can help you feel better mentally and physically and will often keep you feeling full longer.
2. Eat More Produce
Fruits and vegetable are nature’s multivitamins. If they wanted, seniors could easily live off of nothing but produce. If you keep a variety of these products in your diet, you’ll provide your body with all the necessary vitamins and minerals it needs.
Spinach, mushrooms, and peas are a great place to start if you want to increase your protein intake. Green vegetables and citrus fruits (oranges, grapefruit, etc.) will provide you will your daily doses of vitamin C and calcium, among others. There are no wrong options when it comes to selecting produce. If possible, avoid cooking them, as this can deplete them of their nutrients.
3. Try Vegan Eating
Vegans stay away from any food that isn’t made from ingredients that come directly from the earth. Examples that vegan diets omit include dairy-based foods as well as eggs. This type of diet is great for weight control and reducing the risk of disease to vital organs. A vegan diet also tends to be richer in certain nutrients, many of which seniors need to maintain their health.
4. Drink Nutritious Beverages
Keeping your body hydrated is just as important as eating healthy. For seniors, drinking plenty of water throughout the day will help you think clearer and give you more energy. Other healthy drinks can include an assortment of fruit and vegetable blender drinks as well as freshly squeezed fruit juices. Stay away from regular caffeine consumption as well as rich, milk-based drinks that can cause intestinal distress.
5. Explore Alternative Sources of Protein
Protein is one of the most important nutrients for the human body. With that said, it is possible to maintain a vegetarian diet while getting adequate amounts of it. If you aren’t a strict vegan, eating eggs and dairy in moderation can provide you with your daily dose of protein. Otherwise make sure that you eat enough pulses, beans and lentils which can fulfill your daily protein requirements.
For snack foods, try eating nuts or soy chips. These will keep you full throughout the day and keep your muscles strong, which is one of the most important aspects of senior health. Eating salads that are rich in spinach, mushrooms, and raw broccoli are another great source of this.
Sally Phillips is the Content Manager for a small senior advice site that provides an eye opening guide highlighting how to eat better by creating better habits for the seniors.
- 4 Types of Coconut Oil – Which One Best Benefits You?
- 3 Tips to Get the Most Health Benefits from Virgin Coconut Oil
- 5 Tips on Choosing the Best Virgin Coconut Oil
- 3 Tips to Eat Coconut Oil for Weight Loss
- 5 Disadvantages of Virgin Coconut Oil
- 4 Differences Between Coconut Oil and Coconut Milk
- 2 Methods to Store Virgin Coconut Oil Without Destroying Its Health Properties
- How to Use Coconut Oil for Constipation? [FussyBody.com]
- Does Coconut Oil Cause Diarrhea? [FussyBody.com]
- Virgin Coconut Oil Benefits [FussyBody.com]
- Where can You Buy Virgin Coconut Oil? [FussyBody.com]
- How to Eat Coconut Oil for Health Benefits? [FussyBody.com]
- Coconut Oil for Weight Loss [FussyBody.com]
- Virgin Coconut Oil Skin Benefits [FussyBody.com]
- How to Use Coconut Oil for Skin? [FussyBody.com]
- Does Coconut Oil Help Acne? [FussyBody.com]
- Coconut Oil for Flu Prevention [FussyBody.com]